Sunday, January 20, 2013

God can, but doesn't.


So, something that I've been trying to figure out in my mind for some time now is how involved God is in our lives. I understand that in the premortal realm, Heavenly Father accepted Christ's plan, and put it into motion. The plan was that we would be sent to earth as a test, and instead of being guaranteed a spot next to God in the next life (like Lucifer's plan would have done) we would have to earn that spot. I've also learned that God is in control of all things, that God has laid down a plan for all of us, and that God knows everything. For some reason I just couldn't get all of these facts to mesh, gel,, whatever, in my mind. Until I realized the one thing I was missing...

Free Agency.

Published December 20, 2012

After an interesting talk with my father, I see it like this. God has this helper who we call the Holy Spirit or the Holy Ghost. He can put thoughts into our heads, and whether or not we can distinguish them from ourselves or the spirit is up to us. Sometimes people can't but follow good promptings anyways. Yay! Sometimes people can't distinguish the difference, but ignore all good thoughts. No! Sometimes people distinguish the difference and only follow the spirit. Yay! Sometimes...you get the point.

Also, there is a plan laid out for all of us. When I got my patriarchial blessing I was told that those promises made in it would come to pass only if I was obedient. It is the same way with the plan God has laid out before us. If we listen to the spirit, or even the good thoughts in our heads, and follow Christ, the He will lead us along our chosen path. And even though sometimes we will run into hard times, which can only make us stronger if we lean on Him, most of the time, the only things on our paths are good.

The really bad things happen when we leave that path, that plan that has been laid out before us, and stop listening to the spirit, or the good thoughts inside our heads. This isn't a part of God's plan, this is a part of Satan. So sometimes God, through the spirit, tries to get us to do good, and Satan, through his dark angels, tries to get us to do good. God cannot force people into submissiion. That just isn't what he does. Free agency, remember?

So, basically, I believe that God has a plan for each of us. If we follow good, we will walk along that path and end up on God's right hand. If we refuse good, we will be cast out. God knows all things, and can control all things. But He doesn't because He gave us free agency.

No comments:

Post a Comment